Monday, December 24, 2007

How We Connect


I am continually amazed by how technology enables us to connect and reconnect to people who are thousands of miles away, and with whom we may have been out of touch for years.

I was urged to get a Facebook page by a number of friends of mine who are a bit younger. I resisted, because it seemed like a much different generation. My young friends assured me I would not be the only geezer with a facebook profile. (Jane Jacobs, thank you!) With the impetus of needing to get my business out there, I gave in and joined Facebook a couple of weeks ago. Wow! This is definitely the killer app of all time. By allowing hundreds of people to connect simultaneously about all sorts of things both banal and serious, Facebook has created an online community that at last actually delivers what a real community should.

While drinking my tea this morning, I checked on the RSVP list for my birthday party tomorrow (Your Personal Chef turns 38) and read dozens of daily updates from friends, such as :

”Jeff Seidel added the NBA Challenge application.”

“Lisa Mechanick is attending Nefesh B'Nefesh Aliyah Arrival Ceremony!!!.”

“Barb Heller is attending Rabbi David Aaron at LSS DEC 24th.”

When did we get so personally involved in each other’s lives? I would have never known such details before without having to pick up the phone or individually email each person. Would I have even thought to ask about such trivia? Probably not. But I find it interesting that millions of us are logging in each day to share such things with each other.

My dear husband Lenny, who works at a law firm in Manhattan, just joined Facebook at my urging. He was also resistant, but after joining yesterday and finding an old high school friend, he is a convert. I found him sitting at the computer this morning, gleefully telling me that one of his friend requests had been accepted.

Lenny’s law firm blocks internet access almost entirely, but allows employees an hour a day of “quota time.” During this hour, the block is lifted to selected sites, and Facebook is on the list of allowed sites. It’s as if the firm recognizes the addictive nature of Facebook, and understands that allowing employees a daily fix is smart business.

If you want to check out my facebook site, here is the link:

Rebecca’s Facebook Profile


If you want to make my husband’s day, leave a note on his wall here:

Lenny’s Facebook Profile

I could continue to ramble on about this stuff but now I must get outside for my run, while the sun shines here in Passaic NJ - a very rare occurrence these days!

-- Rebecca

No comments:

FriendFeed badge

Twitter Chat here!